Caponata, Grilled Bread and Shaved Pecorino.
You can have Caponata, Grilled Bread and Shaved Pecorino using 18 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Caponata, Grilled Bread and Shaved Pecorino
- You need 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- It’s 1 of medium sweet onion, 1/4" cut pieces.
- You need 1 of celery stalk, 1/4"pieces.
- You need 4 of garlic cloves, minced.
- You need 3 of anchovies or 1 teaspoon paste.
- It’s 1 of red bell pepper, diced.
- You need 1 of large eggplant, diced.
- Prepare 1 can (14.5 oz) of Italian crushed tomatoes.
- It’s 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar.
- You need 1/4 cup of packed light brown sugar.
- Prepare 3 tablespoons of capers, rinsed.
- You need 1/2 cup of golden raisins.
- You need 1/2 cup of black olives.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of chopped basil.
- It’s of sea salt and ground pepper.
- It’s 1 of large baguette or rustic loaf.
- It’s of toasted pine nuts.
- Prepare of Pecorino cheese, shaved.
Caponata, Grilled Bread and Shaved Pecorino instructions
- Add olive oil to large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat. When oil shimmers, add onion and celery and saute till golden brown around edges..
- Reduce heat to medium and add garlic, anchovies, bell peppers, and eggplant. Stir occasionally until eggplant almost falls apart, about 10 minutes..
- Add tomatoes and bring to simmer, partially covered until tomatoes are reduced and darken, about 10 minutes. Stir in vinegar, sugar, capers, raisins and olives. Simmer uncovered until thickens, about 10 minutes, add salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl and let cool..
- Preheat grill to medium high. Cut bread into 1 inch diagonal slices. Lightly coat bread with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill each slice until charred around edges, about 4 minutes a slide. Remove and rub with garlic..
- Top each slice with heaping tablespoon of caponata, drizzle with olive oil and garnish with pine nuts and shaved Pecorino cheese..