You can cook Beef Chili using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Beef Chili
- Prepare 1 cup of dried kidney beans.
- You need 1 cup of dried black beans.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 of large onion, chopped.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 2 tablespoons of chili powder.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of dried oregano.
- You need 1 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- Prepare Pinch of crushed red pepper.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of tomato paste.
- It’s 2 pounds of lean ground beef, turkey or chicken.
- Prepare 1 (15 ounce) of can of tomato sauce.
- Prepare Dash of kosher salt.
- Prepare 1 cup of chopped cilantro.
- It’s of Optional toppings: hot sauce, sour cream, Cheddar cheese, tortilla chips.
Beef Chili instructions
- Wash and rinse beans separately. Soak them overnight..
- Boil beans until cooked but firm. Save 3/4 cup of each cooking water..
- In a Dutch oven sauté onion for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes..
- Add herbs, spices and tomato paste. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly..
- Add beef and cook, breaking lumps, until there’s no more pink/red meat..
- Add tomato sauce, both cooking waters, beans and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a low and simmer for 30 minutes..
- Turn off heat. Add cilantro, stir and let it sit for a few minutes before serving. Serve with hot pepper sauce, a scoop of sour cream, shredded Cheddar and/or tortilla chips if desired..