Gumbo. Gumbo (Louisiana Creole: Gombo) is a stew popular in the U. S. state of Louisiana, and is the official state cuisine. Gumbo consists primarily of a strongly-flavored stock, meat or shellfish, a thickener, and the Creole "holy trinity" ― celery, bell peppers, and onions.
You can omit the stew meat if you choose or add something in its place. Gumbo RecipeFarm Girl and Exoman cook a creole gumbo with file or not. Exoman explains that gumbo can be made with seafood, chicken. You can cook Gumbo using 22 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Gumbo
- It’s 1 cup of all-purpose flour.
- You need 1 of large stick butter.
- Prepare 5 cups of water/stock.
- You need 1-2 cube of veg bouillon.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of white sugar.
- Prepare of salt to taste.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®), or to taste.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning blend (such as Tony Chachere's®), or to taste.
- You need 4 of bay leaves.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme leaves.
- You need 4 teaspoons of file powder, divided.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare of Veggies.
- You need 3 cups of cut okra.
- It’s 1 cup of coarsely chopped celery.
- Prepare 1 (14.5 oz) of canned tomatoes + 1 cup tomato sauce/paste.
- Prepare 1 of large onion, coarsely chopped.
- You need 1 of large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped.
- Prepare 2 of jalapenos.
- Prepare of Mushrooms.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic or garlic powder.
Some people may think that gumbo is slang for throw all the seafood in and then add some okra and the kitchen sink, but a great Southern gumbo is an exercise in delicacy, balance, and restraint—with. gumbo. dervived from the west african word "gombo" for okra; a stew comprised of the holy trinity in cajun/creole cooking (onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes) cajun spices, okra, bay leaves. Make gumbo like the real Cajuns do! Gumbo, which originated in southern Louisiana, can be defined as a soup of meat and/or shellfish and rice. It is always seasoned with garlic, onions, and ground.
Gumbo step by step
- Cajun seasoning: 3 tsp paprika 2 tsp fine kosher salt 2 tsp garlic powder 1 tsp ground black pepper 1 tsp ground white pepper 1 tsp onion powder 1 tsp dried oregano 1 tsp cayenne 1/2 tsp dried thyme.
- Make a roux by whisking the flour and melted butter together in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat to form a smooth mixture. Cook the roux, whisking constantly until it turns a rich mahogany brown color (image). This can take 20 to 30 minutes; watch heat carefully and whisk constantly or roux will burn..
- (step 3 and 4 simultaneuosly) Stir the celery, onion, green bell pepper, and garlic/garlic powder into the roux. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat, and cook until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside..
- Bring the water/stock and bouillon cubes to a boil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot. You can use the same water used to rehydrate mushrooms (if using dried mushrooms). Mix in the sugar, salt, hot pepper sauce, Cajun seasoning, bay leaves, thyme, canned tomatoes, and tomato sauce..
- Whisk the roux mixture into the boiling water. Simmer the soup over low heat for 1 hour.
- Add chopped okra, 2 tbsp vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, and simmer until flavors have blended, 45 more minutes..
- Serve with rice..
See more ideas about gumbo, gumbo recipe, cajun recipes. Gumbo is one of the fantastic, versatile dishes that can be made following the culinary culture of What Can You Serve With Gumbo? Dishes that come with Gumbo will create a different flavor for it. Try this gumbo recipe and get more comfort food ideas and recipes from Food.com. This is originally a shrimp gumbo recipe, but it's gumbo, so you can add whatever turns you on.