Ultimate Greek beef stifado.
You can cook Ultimate Greek beef stifado using 17 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Ultimate Greek beef stifado
- You need of MARINADE:.
- It’s 2-3 sprigs of rosemary.
- Prepare 2-3 of dry bay leaves.
- You need 1 tbls of dried Greek oregano.
- It’s 150 ml of red wine.
- Prepare 2 tbls of white wine vinegar.
- It’s 3 of garlic cloves peeled and crushed with the back of a knife.
- Prepare 4 of whole cloves.
- It’s 1 of cinnamon stick, broken into large pieces.
- You need A few of gratings of nutmeg.
- You need of FOR THE BEEF:.
- It’s 1 kg of good quality beef diced.
- Prepare 6 tbls of extra virgin olive oil.
- You need 1.2 kg of shallots or small onions, peeled.
- You need 400 g of chopped tomatoes.
- You need 2 tbls of tomato purée.
- It’s 1 of beef stock cube.
Ultimate Greek beef stifado step by step
- Place all the marinade ingredients together and combine. Add the beef, mix well, cover and refrigerate overnight..
- When you’re ready to cook, set the oven to 180C fan assisted..
- Drain the beef as well as possible, keeping the marinade juices. Strain and set aside..
- Heat 2 tbls of the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the shallots for about 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a bowl and set aside..
- In the same frying pan, add 2 tbls olive oil and sear the beef on all sides and then place in a casserole dish. You will need to brown the meat in batches. Don’t turn it too much whilst searing as this will reduce the temperature of the pan..
- Place the remaining olive oil in the frying pan and pour in the reserved marinade, the chopped tomatoes, the tomato purée and the beef stock. Bring to a boil and then pour onto the beef..
- Cover the casserole with a lid and place in the oven for 1 hour..
- After 1 hour add the shallots to the casserole, mix, cover with a lid and cook for a further hour or until the meat is tender..