You can cook Welsh rarebit using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Welsh rarebit
- You need 50 g of x plain flour.
- It’s 50 g of x butter.
- Prepare 400 ml of x stout or ale or cider.
- You need 1 tsp of English mustard.
- It’s 1 of x tsp chilli powder (optional).
- It’s 1 of x tbsp Worcester sauce.
- It’s 3 of x egg yolks.
- It’s 300 g of x strong mature cheddar cheese.
- It’s 3 of x spring onions (optional).
- You need of Rustic bread of your choice for topping.
Welsh rarebit step by step
- Slice spring onions if using, separate eggs and grate cheese.
- Melt butter over a med – low heat and stir in flour to make a roux, I used mustard powder so put this in at this stage. If using a mustard paste add it after the beer goes in..
- Add the chilli powder then add half of the beer, stir to a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining beer and stir to a smooth paste again, now add the cheese and turn the heat to its lowest so the cheese doesn't split. Stir until fully melted and add the Worcester sauce.
- Season with pepper but be very careful with salt you probably will not need salt. Add the spring onions and then the egg yolks and continue to cook over a low heat for a minute or 2..
- Pour cheese mix into a bowl and let it cool to room temp, or you can keep for days in the fridge. Cut thick slices of bread drizzle with olive oil and season before grilling (toasting) both sides..
- Spread the mixture thickly on the toasts, place under a hot girl / broiler for as long as it takes for the mixture to be golden and bumblingly hot. Serve on a plate or and with a pallet knife press a crisscross pattern, this is for optional extra Worcester sauce to sit in..
- Leave for a minute to cool down before eating, the other images show the versatility of rarebit, I grilled some onion and topped with pulled pork and rarebit it was lovely. You can also top roasted mushrooms or a piece of fish etc. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eDMWOJXurw.